Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Interview with "Punk Rock Saved My Ass" contributor, Dick Wizmore

In preparation for the launch of the punk rock anthology, Punk Rock Saved My Ass, here is the first post in an ongoing series of interviews with many of the book's writers who share with us why punk is so important in their lives. Stay tuned for more interviews, as well as breaking news on the launch of this exciting and unique anthology of true life punk rock stories.

***********************************************************************************

Dick Wizmore AKA Rick Wismar AKA the Beef Master is married to the force that is Medusa’s Muse. After growing up in the deep South he escaped to the sanity (?) of the West Coast following punks and punk rock. He attended school in fine art, photography, graphic design, computer science, and all sorts of stuff that doesn’t amount to any degrees or consequence (including juggling, clowning and acrobatics).

Not only did Dick Wizmore write the essay, "Saving Souls," he is the book's designer, and he contributed photographs from various shows he's seen through the years. Included are some never before seen shots of The Bad Brains, as well as many action, "mosh-pit" images.

Tell me Dick, how do you personally define punk?
Punk is a mindset, one of tenacity, DIY, and of sticking to your principles. The diversity that comes from these ideas is what then spurns vegan-punks, eco-punks, political punks, activist punks, art punks...whatever passion drives the soul into their own, personal version of punk.

What is NOT punk?
The status quo that trusts everyone and God. People who never question. You know...sheep.

What punk song/band changed your life, and how?
Running free by the Buzzcocks. I'd been listing to punk for a while and there were many songs I identified with. Some were angry, some were violent, some were funny, but this one made me tear up as I sat in my bedroom, feeling like I had no life and no future of my own.
Lyrics to Running Free :
Here in suburbia
There's nothing left to see
Just want to spend my time running free

I've had enough of the day job
I can see farther than that
Just want to spend my time running free

The air of tension still is rising higher
Screaming emotions are singing to you
(No no no time no no no time)
(No no no time no no no time)

Here in the engine room
A pulse shouts for a word
Just want to spend my time running free

I'll pull out condition
There's no need to face facts
Just want to spend my time running free

You better make a move before sleeping gets you
You better shape soon before the weak things make you
(No no no time no no no time)
(No no no time no no no time)

Here in proles' paradise
Experiments on the weak
Just want to spend my time running free

It's a trick of the torment
You tend to forget yourself
Just want to spend my time running free

Your conscience may be changed as the plan gets harder
It's just been rearranged to keep the strata
(No no no time no no no time)
(No no no time no no no time)

Your conscience may be changed as the plan gets harder
It's just been rearranged to keep the strata
(No no no time no no no time)
(No no no time no no no time)
(No no no time no no no time 

 
What has punk taught you about yourself and your life?
That I can be in control of my life and my destiny. I don't have to follow the plan set out by my family or society. The DIY thing set me free and the tenacity got me off my ass. I question everything and
come to my own conclusions.


What surprised you about the punk scene?
That it was NOT as open and all encompassing as I thought and wanted it to be. It was sexist and biased in its own way.


If a person is interested in learning more about punk/DIY, what would you suggest they do?
First, find an interest/passion. That can be a challenge all its own, but when you find it, learn all about it and do the investigating and questioning all on your own. Develop your own ideas and conclusions regardless of the popularity of the outcome. Then go for it. Don't take no for an answer. you want to start a band? Great! Buy, borrow, or steal an instrument and learn it. Learn it your way. Forget punk. Forget rap. Forget what you know, and then just do what you want to do. Are you interested
in women's rights? Same idea applies. Research it and come to your own conclusions. Don't just be spoon feed conclusions from your peers. Remember, punk is a very wide and encompassing  movement. It's an idea, as well as a musical, poetic, artistic, political, and social movement. Punk music is only a small part of it. 

Burn your Hot Topic t-shirt and do what you need to do.

No comments: