Thursday, October 22, 2009

And now a word from the Tech Guy

After I posted answers to the questions from a reader (see previous post), my tech guy sent me an email. "We need to talk."

It appears I was wrong about Ava Host having good tech support. They do, if you already know how to design and update a website. If you're a newby, it may not be the best choice for you. They have a great FAQ section on their website and a chat/forum to get help, but it can be difficult to find the info you need when you don't even know what question to ask.

As I said in my book, What You Need to Know to Be a Pro, go with the web hosting service your web master likes to use. If you're a newby and plan to do it yourself, then Go Daddy, or one of the other sites that has more personal tech support will probably work best for you.

2 comments:

CC said...

Oh boy. The ins and outs sound pretty horrid.

Jane Mackay said...

I've been with 1&1 (1and1.com) for two years and I love them. Their prices are low, their templates are great, and whenever I've needed to talk to a real live human-like person, I've been able to. And that human person has done whatever it took to solve my problem. Their user interface (I've been learning some of these terms) is fairly intuitive/logical, and when it hasn't been, I've always received a timely and courteous answer to my "help! where do I find ...?" email.

My dos centavos.

www.janemac.net