Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Emergency! My Hands Hurt!

You'd think I wouldn't have any trouble with my hands right now since I've been on a hiatus from daily typing and Internet use (and I haven't even had time to play too many hours of The Sims). Instead, my fingers, right thumb, both wrists, right arm and both shoulders hurt so bad I'm popping tylenol while trying not to panic. I'm a writer, for heaven's sake! What am I supposed to do if I can't type? Or even hold a pen for thirty minutes?

There has been more than the normal amount of stress in my life right now, so I suspect some of the pain I feel, especially in my shoulders, is due to that. My husband had surgery, the dog had surgery, and Queen Teen had surgery, all within a week of each other, so I've been a nursemaid to all three since August 1. At the same time, I was putting the finishing touches on The Business Book I've been writing, getting it ready for feedback from experts. So it's not completely inconceivable that I would have some pain in my arms and hands right now.

I bought a new keyboard yesterday, a Microsoft "Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000." The key pad is split and raised in the middle to create a more "natural" curve for the hands. Typing feels really weird, but if it will save my hands, I'll give it a shot. I'll probably have to stop writing for long periods on my I-book at the cafe. But that's the weirdest part. I HAVEN'T been writing at the cafe, or anywhere, for long periods in a month. So why am I having trouble now, and what will that mean when my daughter goes back to school next week and I can once again write?

If anyone reading this has experienced something similar and has ideas about what to do, please send me a comment. I could use the advice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go out and buy this book immediately:

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/

You can pick it up online or at a big book store like Barnes & Nobles, etc.

I realize your post was a long time ago but if you haven't solved this yet... go buy that book asap.

I'm a programmer and this book saved my career. I still have issues but at least I can manage them now.

Rena said...

Thanks Anonymous. I'll take a look.